regulating oneself or itself, so as to function automatically or without outside control
- Regulating oneself or itself.
- Regulating itself automatically.
(comparative more self-regulating, superlative most self-regulating)
- Able to control itself.
- The motor was self-regulating, until the governor broke and it suddenly raced out of control.
- Of an organization, establishing standards for itself rather than having them legislated for it by government.
- Lawyers are self-regulating through the bar association, which sets standards and imposes penalties.