- The definition of an automaton is a self-propelled or self-powered machine.
An example of an automaton is a car that drives without a human driver.
- anything that can move or act of itself
- an apparatus that automatically performs certain actions by responding to preset controls or encoded instructions
- an electronic machine, control device, etc. equipped with a computer and designed to operate automatically in response to instructions previously fed into the computer
- a person or animal acting in an automatic or mechanical way
Origin: Classical Latin ; from Classical Greek neuter of automatos: see automatic
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. au·tom·a·tons or au·tom·a·ta
- A self-operating machine or mechanism, especially a robot.
- One that behaves or responds in a mechanical way.
Origin: Latin, self-operating machine, from Greek, from neuter of automatos, self-acting; see automatic.
- au·tomˈa·tous adjective
automaton - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.