A veteran displays his medals.
- An example of a veteran is someone who served in the army.
- A person who has worked for 20 years in the field of social work is an example of someone who would be described as a veteran in the field.
The definition of a veteran is a person who has served in the military or a person who has obtained a lot of experience in a particular field.
- experienced; practiced
- designating or of a person who has served in the armed forces
Origin of veteranClassical Latin veteranus from vetus (gen. veteris), old from Indo-European base an unverified form wet-, year from source wether, Classical Greek etos, year
- an old, experienced soldier, etc., esp. one who served in time of war
- any person who has served in the armed forces
- a person of long experience in some occupation or position
- a. A person who has served in the armed forces.b. An old soldier who has seen long service.
- A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity: a veteran of political campaigns.
Origin of veteranLatin veterānus from vetus veter- old ; see wet-2 in Indo-European roots.
- aventre, Neretva, Trevena
From Latin veterānus.