practiced definition by Webster's New World
- proficient through practice; experienced; skilled
- learned or perfected by practice
practiced definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Skilled or expert; proficient: He is practiced in the art of design. She is a practiced lecturer.
- Acquired or brought to perfection by practice: greeted the guests with practiced courtesy.
Variant of practice
- to do or engage in frequently or usually; make a habit or custom of: to practice thrift
- to do repeatedly in order to learn or become proficient; exercise or drill oneself in: to practice batting
- to put into practice; specif.,
- to use one's knowledge of; work at, esp. as a profession: to practice law
- to observe, or adhere to (beliefs, ideals, etc.): to practice one's religion
- to teach or train through practice; exercise
Origin: Middle English practisen ; from Middle French practiser, altered ; from practiquer ; from Midieval Latin practicare ; from Late Latin practicus ; from Classical Greek praktikos, concerning action, practical ; from prassein, to do
- to do something repeatedly in order to learn or acquire proficiency; exercise or drill oneself: to practice on the organ
- to put knowledge into practice; work at or follow a profession, as medicine, law, etc.
- Archaic to scheme; intrigue
- the act, result, etc. of practicing; specif.,
- a frequent or usual action; habit; usage: to make a practice of being early
- a usual method or custom; convention: the practice of tipping for services
- repeated mental or physical action for the purpose of learning or acquiring proficiency
- a session of engaging in such action: cheerleading practice
- the condition of being proficient or skillful as a result of this: to be out of practice
- the doing of something as an application of knowledge: the practice of a theory
- the exercise of a profession or occupation: the practice of law
- a business based on this, often regarded as a legal property: to buy another's law practice
- Archaic intrigue, trickery, a scheme, etc.
- Law the various procedures involved in legal work, in and out of courts
- practicer noun