A little dog at the vet.
- An example of a vet is a person you take your dog to when he is sick.
- An example of a vet is a person who fought in the Iraq war.
verbvet·ted, vet·ting, vets
- To subject to veterinary evaluation, examination, medication, or surgery.
- To subject to thorough examination or evaluation: vet a manuscript.
- (colloquial) A veterinarian or veterinary surgeon.
Clipping of veterinarian, or veterinary surgeon.
- (colloquial) A veteran (a former soldier or other member of an armed forces).
Although veteran can be used in many contexts such as sports or business to describe someone with many years of experience, vet is usually used only for former military personnel.
Clipping of veteran.
(third-person singular simple present vets, present participle vetting, simple past and past participle vetted)
possibly by analogy from Etymology 1, in the sense of "verifying the soundness [of an animal]"
- (law) Veteran, as used in case citations in the United States.