- a young fox, wolf, bear, lion, tiger, whale, etc.
- an inexperienced, awkward youth
- Old-fashioned a novice newspaper reporter
- Cub Scout
Origin of cubEarly Modern English cubbe, young fox ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old Irish cuib, whelp
- One of the young of bears, wolves, lions, pandas, or certain other animals.
- A youth, especially one who is inexperienced, awkward, or ill-mannered.
- A novice or learner, particularly in newspaper reporting.
Origin of cubOrigin unknown.
- A member of the Cub Scouts.
- (baseball) A player on the team the "Chicago Cubs".
- Jones became a Cub as the result of a pre-season trade.