- The definition of optimum is the best.
An example of something optimum is a vacation package with great features and low cost.
- Optimum is the point at which something is the best.
An example of the optimum is the best growing condition for a plant.
pl. -·mums or -·ma
- the best or most favorable degree, condition, amount, etc.
- Biol. the amount of heat, light, moisture, food, etc. most favorable for growth and reproduction
Origin of optimumL, neuter of optimus, best ; from ops, power, riches: for Indo-European base see opus
most favorable or desirable; best; optimal
nounpl. op·ti·ma or op·ti·mums
- The point at which the condition, degree, or amount of something is the most favorable.
- Biology The most favorable condition for growth and reproduction.
Most favorable or advantageous; best.
Origin of optimumLatin, neuter sing. of optimus, best; see op- in Indo-European roots.
(plural optima or optimums)