- The definition of utmost is something that is most important, most extreme or greatest.
The need for food when you are starving is an example of something that would be described as being of the utmost importance.
- situated at the farthest point or limit; most extreme or distant; farthest
- of or to the greatest or highest degree, amount, number, etc.; greatest
Origin of utmostMiddle English utemest ; from Old English utemest, ytemest, double superlative of ut, out
the most or the greatest that is possible; extreme limit or degree
- Being or situated at the most distant limit or point; farthest: the utmost tip of the peninsula.
- Of the highest or greatest degree, amount, or intensity; most extreme: a matter of the utmost importance.
The greatest possible amount, degree, or extent; the maximum: worked every day to the utmost of her abilities.
Origin of utmostMiddle English, from Old English ūtmest : ūt, out; see ud- in Indo-European roots + -mest, -most.
Old English ut (“out") + -most