- The definition of utmost is something that is most important, most extreme or greatest.
The need for food when you are starving is an example of something that would be described as being of the utmost importance.
- situated at the farthest point or limit; most extreme or distant; farthest
- of or to the greatest or highest degree, amount, number, etc.; greatest
Origin: Middle English utemest from Old English utemest, ytemest, double superlative of ut, out
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Being or situated at the most distant limit or point; farthest: the utmost tip of the peninsula.
- Of the highest or greatest degree, amount, or intensity; most extreme: a matter of the utmost importance.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English ūtmest : ūt, out; see ud- in Indo-European roots + -mest, -most.