The definition of an utterance is a statement, especially one made verbally or out-loud.noun
An example of anutterance is something that is said after accepting an award.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- the act of uttering, or expressing by voice
- the power or style of speaking
- that which is uttered; esp., a word or words uttered, whether written or spoken
Origin: ME: see utter & -ance
Origin: ME, altered (infl. by utter) < MFr outrance: see outrance
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act of uttering; vocal expression.b. The power of speaking; speech: as long as I have utterance.c. A manner of speaking: argued with forceful utterance.
- Something uttered or expressed; a statement.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French outrance, from outrer, to go beyond limits, from Vulgar Latin *ultrāre, from Latin ultrā, beyond; see al-1 in Indo-European roots.