- The definition of an utterance is a statement, especially one made verbally or out-loud.
An example of anutterance is something that is said after accepting an award.
utterance definition by Webster's New World
- the act of uttering, or expressing by voice
- the power or style of speaking
- that which is uttered; esp., a word or words uttered, whether written or spoken
Origin: ME: see utter and amp; -ance
Origin: Middle English altered (infl. by utter) ; from Middle French outrance: see outrance
utterance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of uttering; vocal expression.b. The power of speaking; speech: as long as I have utterance.c. A manner of speaking: argued with forceful utterance.
- Something uttered or expressed; a statement.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French outrance, from outrer, to go beyond limits, from Vulgar Latin *ultrāre, from Latin ultrā, beyond; see al-1 in Indo-European roots.