- The definition of a remark is a statement about something you noticed.
An example of a remark is telling your friend that his garden is really beautiful.
- To remark is to make a comment or say something.
An example of remark is to talk about a basketball game after your team loses.
remark definition by Webster's New World
- to notice; observe; perceive
- to say or write as an observation or comment
- Obsolete to mark; distinguish; indicate
Origin: French remarquer ; from re- plush marquer, to mark ; from Italian marcare ; from marca, a mark ; from Germanic an unverified form marka: see mark
- the act of noticing, perceiving, or observing: a man worthy of remark
- something said briefly; comment; casual observation
remark definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb re·marked, re·mark·ing, re·marks verb, transitive
- To express briefly and casually as a comment.
- To take notice of; observe. See Synonyms at see1.
- The act of noticing or observing: a place worthy of remark.
- A casual or brief expression of opinion; a comment. See Synonyms at comment.
Origin: Alteration (influenced by mark1) of French remarquer : Old French re-, re- + Old French marquer, to mark (ultimately from merc, sign, from Old Norse merki, mark; see merg- in Indo-European roots).
- re·markˈer noun