- Descry is defined as to discover or detect something.
- An example of descry is to find a fossil.
- An example of descry is to see a friendly face in the crowd.
- An example of descry is to pick out a secret code in a message.
descry definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
descry definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb de·scried, de·scry·ing, de·scries
- To catch sight of (something difficult to discern). See Synonyms at see1.
- To discover by careful observation or scrutiny; detect: descried a message of hope in her words.
Origin: Middle English descrien, from Old French descrier, to call, cry out; see decry.
- de·scriˈer noun