- The definition of an idealist is a person guided by principles or hopes rather than by practicality.
A person who behaves in a way that he thinks will cause positive change, regardless of the actual reality, is an example of an idealist.
idealist definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person whose behavior or thought is based on ideals
- one who follows his ideals to the point of impracticality; visionary or dreamer
- an adherent or practitioner of idealism in art or philosophy
idealist definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One whose conduct is influenced by ideals that often conflict with practical considerations.
- One who is unrealistic and impractical; a visionary.
- An artist or writer whose work is imbued with idealism.
- An adherent of any system of philosophical idealism.