The definition of an idealist is a person guided by principles or hopes rather than by practicality.
A person who behaves in a way that he thinks will cause positive change, regardless of the actual reality, is an example of an idealist.
- a person whose behavior or thought is based on ideals
- one who follows his or her ideals to the point of impracticality; visionary or dreamer
- an adherent or practitioner of idealism in art or philosophy
- One whose conduct or thinking is influenced by ideals that often conflict with practical considerations.
- An artist or writer whose work is imbued with idealism.
- An adherent of any system of philosophical idealism.