- a person whose behavior or thought is based on ideals
- one who follows his or her ideals to the point of impracticality; visionary or dreamer
- an adherent or practitioner of idealism in art or philosophy
The definition of an idealist is a person guided by principles or hopes rather than by practicality.
A person who behaves in a way that he thinks will cause positive change, regardless of the actual reality, is an example of an idealist.
- One whose conduct or thinking is influenced by ideals that often conflict with practical considerations.
- An artist or writer whose work is imbued with idealism.
- An adherent of any system of philosophical idealism.
- To speak technically, it is an idealist monism."
- Realist make him almost if not quite intuitionalist; while there is also an idealist reading possible.
- He was a psychological idealist and a metaphysical realist.
- Joseph was an idealist and a doctrinaire, whose dream was to build up his ideal body politic; the first step toward which was to be the amalgamation of all his dominions into a common state under an absolute sovereign.
- And Martineau is curiously unsympathetic to the universal and social aspect of morality with which evolutionary and idealist moral philosophers are so largely occupied.