A bashful little girl.
The definition of bashful is someone easily embarrassed or timid or shy.
A child hiding behind their parent is an example of bashful.
- timid, shy, and easily embarrassed
- showing an embarrassed timidity
Origin of bashful(a)bash + -ful
- Shy, self-conscious, and awkward in the presence of others: “I never laughed, being bashful. / Lowering my head, I looked at the wall” ( Ezra Pound )
- Characterized by, showing, or resulting from shyness, self-consciousness, or awkwardness: “He had polite bashful manners and a low grownup voice” ( John Dos Passos )
Origin of bashfulFrom obsolete bash to abash, be abashed ( from Middle English basshen ) ( variant of abaishen, abasshen ; see abash . ) -ful
(comparative more bashful, superlative most bashful)
- inclined to avoid notice
- reserved; disinclined to familiar approach.