- The definition of bashful is someone easily embarrassed or timid or shy.
A child hiding behind their parent is an example of bashful.
A bashful little girl.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- timid, shy, and easily embarrassed
- showing an embarrassed timidity
Origin: (a)bash plush -ful
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Shy, self-conscious, and awkward in the presence of others. See Synonyms at shy1.
- Characterized by, showing, or resulting from shyness, self-consciousness, or awkwardness.
Origin: From Middle English basshe, from basshed, past participle of basshen, to be discomfited, probably variant of abaishen; see abash.
- bashˈful·ly adverb
- bashˈful·ness noun