A bashful little girl.
- The definition of bashful is someone easily embarrassed or timid or shy.
A child hiding behind their parent is an example of bashful.
- timid, shy, and easily embarrassed
- showing an embarrassed timidity
Origin of bashful(a)bash + -ful
- Shy, self-conscious, and awkward in the presence of others: “I never laughed, being bashful. / Lowering my head, I looked at the wall” (Ezra Pound).
- Characterized by, showing, or resulting from shyness, self-consciousness, or awkwardness: “He had polite bashful manners and a low grownup voice” (John Dos Passos).
Origin of bashfulFrom obsolete bash, to abash, be abashed (from Middle English basshen, variant of abaishen, abasshen; see abash) + –ful.
(comparative more bashful, superlative most bashful)
- inclined to avoid notice
- reserved; disinclined to familiar approach.