- to plague diabolically; torment; harass
- to possess as with a devil; bewitch
- to confuse completely; muddle
- to corrupt; spoil
transitive verbbe·dev·iled, be·dev·il·ing, be·dev·ils or be·dev·illed or be·dev·il·ling
- To torment mercilessly; plague.
- To worry, annoy, or frustrate.
- To possess with or as if with a devil; bewitch.
- To spoil; ruin.
(third-person singular simple present bedevils, present participle bedeviling or bedevilling, simple past and past participle bedeviled or bedevilled)
- To harass or cause trouble for; to plague.
- Guerrilla attacks continued to bedevil the larger army's supply routes.
- To perplex or bewilder.
- The spellings bedeviling and bedeviled are preferred in the US, while bedevilling and bedevilled are preferred in the UK. However, the choice of spellings is not universal.
be- + devil