A perplexed student trying to figure out a class assignment.
An example of someone who would be described as perplexed is a person who is trying to solve a complicated math problem that she has no idea how to start.
- full of doubt or uncertainty; puzzled
- hard to understand; confusing
- Filled with confusion or bewilderment; puzzled.
- Full of complications or difficulty; involved.
Origin of perplexedMiddle English from perplex confused from Old French perplexe from Latin perplexus per- per- plexus past participle of plectere to entwine ; see plek- in Indo-European roots.
- Simple past tense and past participle of perplex.