- The definition of a puzzle is game to exercise the brain by fitting different pieces together.
An example of a puzzle is the New York Times crossword.
- To puzzle is defined as to confuse.
An example of to puzzle is someone with green eyes saying their eyes are brown.
A crossword puzzle.
puzzle definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English an unverified form poselen (inferred ; from past participle poselet), to bewilder, confuse ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- to be perplexed, etc.
- to exercise one's mind, as over the solution of a problem
- the state of being puzzled; bewilderment
- a question, problem, etc. that puzzles
- a toy or problem for testing cleverness, skill, or ingenuity
puzzle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb puz·zled, puz·zling, puz·zles verb, transitive
- To baffle or confuse mentally by presenting or being a difficult problem or matter.
- To clarify or solve (something confusing) by reasoning or study: He puzzled out the significance of the statement.
- To be perplexed.
- To ponder over a problem in an effort to solve or understand it.
- Something, such as a game, toy, or problem, that requires ingenuity and often persistence in solving or assembling.
- Something that baffles or confuses.
- The condition of being perplexed; bewilderment.
Origin: Origin unknown.
- puzˈzler noun
puzzle - Phrases/Idioms