- To clarify is defined as to purify a liquid to make it clear or to remove something.
An example of to clarify is cook butter and skim off the foam.
- The definition of clarify is to make something more clear or easier to understand.
An example of to clarify is for a teacher to answer questions about a lesson.
clarify definition by Webster's New World
- to make or become clear and free from impurities: said esp. of liquids
- to make or become easier to understand: to clarify one's meaning
Origin: Middle English clarifien ; from Old French clarifier ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin clarificare, to make illustrious ; from Classical Latin clarus, famous, clear plush facere, to make, do
clarify definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb clar·i·fied, clar·i·fy·ing, clar·i·fies verb, transitive
- To make clear or easier to understand; elucidate: clarified her intentions.
- To clear of confusion or uncertainty: clarify the mind.
- To make clear by removing impurities or solid matter, as by heating gently or filtering: clarify butter.
Origin: Middle English clarifien, from Old French clarifier, from Late Latin clārificāre : Latin clārus, clear; see clear + Latin -ficāre, -fy.
- clarˌi·fi·caˈtion noun
- clarˈi·fiˌer noun