- Delineate is defined as to trace an outline, to sketch something or to describe with great specificity.
- An example of delineate is to draw the outline of the United States.
- An example of delineate is to explain a specific drawing down to the last detail.
delineate definition by Webster's New World
delineate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb de·lin·e·at·ed, de·lin·e·at·ing, de·lin·e·ates
- To draw or trace the outline of; sketch out.
- To represent pictorially; depict.
- To depict in words or gestures; describe. See Synonyms at represent.
Origin: Latin dēlīneāre, dēlīneāt- : dē-, de- + līnea, line, thread; see line1.
- de·linˌe·aˈtion noun
- de·linˈe·aˌtive adjective
- de·linˈe·aˌtor noun