- An example of impasse is a blind alley.
- An example of impasse is an argument where no agreement is reached.
The definition of an impasse is something from which there is no escape or solution.
- a passage open only at one end; blind alley
- a situation offering no escape, as a difficulty without solution, an argument where no agreement is possible, etc.
Origin of impasseFr: see in- and amp; pass
- A road or passage having no exit; a cul-de-sac.
- A situation that is so difficult that no progress can be made; a deadlock or a stalemate: reached an impasse in the negotiations.
Origin of impasseFrench : in-, not (from Latin in-; see in–1) + passe, a passing (from Old French, from passer, to pass; see pass).