- An example of impasse is a blind alley.
- An example of impasse is an argument where no agreement is reached.
The definition of an impasse is something from which there is no escape or solution.
- a passage open only at one end; blind alley
- a situation offering no escape, as a difficulty without solution, an argument where no agreement is possible, etc.
Origin of impasseFr: see in- and pass
- A road or passage having no exit; a cul-de-sac.
- A situation that is so difficult that no progress can be made; a deadlock or a stalemate: reached an impasse in the negotiations.
Origin of impasseFrench in- not ( from Latin in- ; see in- 1. ) passe a passing ( from Old French) ( from passer to pass ; see pass . )