This fallen tree is an obstruction.
- An example of an obstruction is hiding evidence in a court case; obstruction of justice.
- An example of an obstruction is a science project sticking off of a table making it hard to get around.
- An example of an obstruction is a fallen tree on the road.
- an obstructing or being obstructed
- anything that obstructs; hindrance
Origin of obstructionClassical Latin obstructio
- Something that obstructs; an obstacle: We drove around the obstruction in the road.
- a. The act of obstructing: The protesters' obstruction of the hallway made it impossible to get to the office.b. The condition of being obstructed: The obstruction of the tunnel lasted for hours.
- Sports The act of impeding another player in violation of the rules, as when a player impedes the progress of an opponent not in possession of the puck in ice hockey.
From Latin obstructio (“hindrance"), from obstruo (“build against, block, stop")