- The definition of clearance is up for sale.
An example of clearance used as an adjective is in the phrase "clearance items."
- Clearance means space between, or authorization, or items on sale.
- An example of a clearance is a pathway through the woods.
- An example of clearance is a document allowing a person into a government building.
- An example of clearance is a regularly priced $50 t-shirt up for sale at $10.
clearance definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an act or instance of clearing
- the clear space or distance between moving objects or mechanical parts, or between a moving object and that which it passes through, over, under, etc.
- official, esp. governmental, authorization allowing a person to examine classified documents, participate in confidential projects, etc.
- a certificate from the collector of customs authorizing a ship to enter or leave portalso clearance papers
- the act or process of meeting the requirements for getting this certificate
- a certificate from the collector of customs authorizing a ship to enter or leave port
- Aeron. permission, usually from a control tower, to take off, land, etc.
- Banking the adjustment of debits and credits, exchange of checks, etc. in a clearinghouse
clearance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act or process of clearing.
- A space cleared; a clearing.
- a. The amount of space or distance by which a moving object clears something.b. The height or width of a passage: an underpass with a 13-foot clearance.
- An intervening space or distance allowing free play, as between machine parts.
- Permission for an aircraft, ship, or other vehicle to proceed, as after an inspection of equipment or cargo or during certain traffic conditions.
- Official certification of blamelessness, trustworthiness, or suitability.
- A sale, generally at reduced prices, to dispose of old merchandise.
- The passage of checks and other bills of exchange through a clearing-house.
- Physiology a. The removal by the kidneys of a substance from blood plasma.b. Renal clearance.
clearance - Medical Definition
The removal of a substance from the blood, expressed as the volume of blood or plasma cleared of the substance per unit time.