This man is under arrest.
- The definition of arrest is to take a person into custody for legal purposes.
The placing of a robber into handcuffs is an example of an arrest.
- Arrest is defined as the act of taking a person into custody for legal purposes.
An example of arrest is a police officer handcuffing a robber.
- to stop or check the motion, course, or spread of
- to seize or take into custody by authority of the law
- to catch and keep (one's attention, sight, etc.)
Origin of arrestMiddle English aresten ; from Old French arester ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form arrestare ; from Classical Latin ad-, to + restare, to stop, rest
- an arresting or being arrested; esp., a taking or being taken into custody by authority of the law
- a thing for checking motion
Origin of arrestME & OFr arest < the v.
verbar·rest·ed, ar·rest·ing, ar·rests
- To stop; check: a brake that automatically arrests motion; arrested the growth of the tumor.
- To seize and hold under the authority of law.
- To capture and hold briefly (the attention, for example); engage.
- a. The act of detaining in legal custody: the arrest of a criminal suspect.b. The state of being so detained: a suspect under arrest.
- A device for stopping motion, especially of a moving part.
- The act of stopping or the condition of being stopped.
Origin of arrestMiddle English aresten, from Old French arester, from Vulgar Latin *arrestāre : Latin ad-, ad- + Latin restāre, to stand still (re-, re- + stāre, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots).
- ar·rest′er, ar·res′tor
- A check, stop, an act or instance of arresting something.
- The condition of being stopped, standstill.
- (law) The act of arresting a criminal, suspect etc.
- A confinement, detention, as after an arrest.
- A device to physically arrest motion.
- (nautical) The judicial detention of a ship to secure a financial claim against its operators.
- (farriery) A scurfiness of the back part of the hind leg of a horse.
(third-person singular simple present arrests, present participle arresting, simple past and past participle arrested)
arrest - Legal Definition
- An arrest made without probable cause and for an improper purpose.
- An arrest made with knowledge that the person arrested did not commit the crime he is charged with. See also malicious prosecution.