- The definition of activate means to start something.
An example of activate is when the “play” button is pushed on the DVD player and it starts to play the disk.
A remote is used to activate the DVD player.
activate definition by Webster's New World
- to make active; cause to engage in activity
- to put (an inactive military unit) on an active status by assigning personnel, equipment, etc. to it
- to make radioactive
- to make capable of reacting or of accelerating a chemical reaction
- to treat (sewage) with air so that aerobes will become active in it, thus purifying it
- activation noun
activate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb ac·ti·vat·ed, ac·ti·vat·ing, ac·ti·vates
- To set in motion; make active or more active.
- To organize or create (a military unit, for example): activate the National Guard.
- To treat (sewage) with aeration and bacteria to aid decomposition.
- Chemistry To accelerate a reaction in, as by heat.
- Physics To make (a substance) radioactive.
- Biology To convert (certain biological compounds) into biologically active derivatives.
- acˌti·vaˈtion noun
- acˈti·vaˌtor noun
activate - Computer Definition
(1) See trigger.
(2) To interact with an activation server at the time copy-protected software is installed. The install program generates a code that is sent to the activation server, which responds with an authorization code that allows the software to operate. Without the authorization code, the software generally times out.