A remote is used to activate the DVD player.
- The definition of activate means to start something.
An example of activate is when the “play” button is pushed on the DVD player and it starts to play the disk.
transitive verbactivated, activating
- to make active; cause to engage in activity
- to put (an inactive military unit) on an active status by assigning personnel, equipment, etc. to it
- to make radioactive
- to make capable of reacting or of accelerating a chemical reaction
- to treat (sewage) with air so that aerobes will become active in it, thus purifying it
transitive verbac·ti·vat·ed, ac·ti·vat·ing, ac·ti·vates
- To set in motion; make active or more active.
- To organize or create (a military unit, for example): activate the National Guard.
- To treat (sewage) with aeration and bacteria to aid decomposition.
- Chemistry To accelerate a reaction in, as by heat.
- Physics To make (a substance) radioactive.
- Biology To convert (certain biological compounds) into biologically active derivatives.
(third-person singular simple present activates, present participle activating, simple past and past participle activated)
activate - Computer Definition
(1) See trigger.
(2) To interact with an activation server at the time copy-protected software is installed. The install program generates a code that is sent to the activation server, which responds with an authorization code that allows the software to operate. Without the authorization code, the software generally times out.