The definition of activate means to start something.verb
An example of activate is when the “play” button is pushed on the DVD player and it starts to play the disk.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- to make active; cause to engage in activity
- to put (an inactive military unit) on an active status by assigning personnel, equipment, etc. to it
- to make radioactive
- to make capable of reacting or of accelerating a chemical reaction
- to treat (sewage) with air so that aerobes will become active in it, thus purifying it
- activation noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb ac·ti·vat·ed, ac·ti·vat·ing, ac·ti·vates
- To set in motion; make active or more active.
- To organize or create (a military unit, for example): activate the National Guard.
- To treat (sewage) with aeration and bacteria to aid decomposition.
- Chemistry To accelerate a reaction in, as by heat.
- Physics To make (a substance) radioactive.
- Biology To convert (certain biological compounds) into biologically active derivatives.
- acˌti·vaˈtion noun
- acˈti·vaˌtor noun
activate - Computer Definition
(1) See trigger.
(2) To interact with an activation server at the time copy-protected software is installed. The install program generates a code that is sent to the activation server, which responds with an authorization code that allows the software to operate. Without the authorization code, the software generally times out.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.