A pair of hemostats
anything used to stop bleeding; specif.,
- a clamplike instrument used in surgery
- a medicine that hastens clotting
Origin of hemostat; from hemostatic
- An agent, such as a chemical, that stops bleeding.
- A clamplike instrument used to compress a blood vessel in order to reduce or arrest the flow of blood during surgery.
- (medicine) an instrument that clamps blood vessels to diminish or halt blood flow
From Latin hemo- (from Ancient Greek haemo-), "blood" ; + -stata , "standing"