- The definition of a restriction is a limitation.
An example of a restriction is not being allowed to drink alcohol until you're 21 years old.
- a restricting or being restricted
- something that restricts; limitation
Origin of restrictionMiddle English restriccion ; from Middle French restriction ; from Classical Latin restrictio
- The action of restricting or the state of being restricted: the country's restriction of immigration.
- Something that restricts; a regulation or limitation: a restriction banning dogs from the beach.