Expansion is defined as the act of getting bigger or something added onto something else.noun
An example of an expansion is an extra three rooms built onto a house.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- an expanding or being expanded; enlargement; dilation
- an expanded thing or part
- the amount, degree, or extent of expansion
- a development or full treatment, as of a topic
- the process or result of working out or giving the full form of a contraction, equation, etc.
- Mech. the expanding in volume of steam in the cylinder of a steam engine after cutoff, or of gas in the cylinder of an internal-combustion engine after explosion
Origin: LL expansio < L expansus: see expanse
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act or process of expanding: the new nation's expansion westward.b. The state of being expanded.
- a. An expanded part: an expansion of a river.b. A product of expanding: a book that is an expansion of the author's Ph.D. thesis.
- The extent or amount by which something has expanded.
- Mathematics a. A quantity written in an extended form, such as in a sum or product of terms.b. The process of obtaining this form.
- An expanse.
- A period of increased economic or business activity.
expansion - Business Definition
- An increase in a firm's capacity to provide products or services. For example, a software company may acquire additional office space in order to hire employees that will work on a new project.
- A period during which there is an increase in economic activity.
expansion - Medical Definition
- An increase in size.
- The spreading out of a structure, such as a tendon.
expansion - Science Definition
- An increase in the volume of a substance while its mass remains the same. Expansion is usually due to heating. When substances are heated, the molecular bonds between their particles are weakened, and the particles move faster, causing the substance to expand.
- A number or other mathematical expression written in an extended form. For example, a2 + 2ab + b2 is the expansion of (a + b)2.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.