An expanse of wildflowers.
- When a bird can open its wings very wide, this is an example of when the bird has a wide expanse.
- When you look out over the vast surface of the Atlantic Ocean, this is an example of when you look out over the ocean's expanse.
The definition of an expanse is the distance to which something can grow or expand, or a vast open surface.
- a large, open area or unbroken surface; wide extent; great breadth
Origin of expanseMiddle English expans ; from Classical Latin expansum, neuter past participle of expandere: see expand
- A wide and open extent, as of surface, land, or sky.
- a. Expansion.b. The distance or amount of expansion.
Origin of expanseLatin expansum, from neuter past participle of expandere, to spread out; see expand.
From Latin expandō.