- Sea is the salt water covering the Earth or a large body of salt water which is partially enclosed by land.
- An example of the sea are the oceans of the world.
- An example of a sea is the Baltic Sea.
A stormy sea.
sea definition by Webster's New World
- the continuous body of salt water covering the greater part of the earth's surface; ocean
- a large body of salt water wholly or partly enclosed by land: the Red Sea, Irish Sea
- a large body of fresh water: the Sea of Galilee
- the state of the surface of the ocean with regard to waves or swells: a calm sea
- a heavy swell or wave
- something like or suggesting the sea in extent or vastness; very great amount or number: lost in a sea of debt
- Astron. mare (sense )
Origin: Middle English see ; from Old English sæ, akin to Dutch zee, German see
sea definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The continuous body of salt water covering most of the earth's surface, especially this body regarded as a geophysical entity distinct from earth and sky.
- Abbr. S.a. A tract of water within an ocean.b. A relatively large body of salt water completely or partially enclosed by land.c. A relatively large landlocked body of fresh water.
- a. The condition of the ocean's surface with regard to its course, flow, swell, or turbulence: a rising sea; choppy seas.b. A wave or swell, especially a large one: a 40-foot sea that broke over the stern.
- Something that suggests the ocean in its overwhelming sweep or vastness: a sea of controversy.
- Seafaring as a way of life.
- Astronomy A lunar mare.
Origin: Middle English see, from Old English sǣ.
sea - Ologies & -Isms Definition
sea - Computer Definition
sea - Phrases/Idioms
- on the open sea
- uncertain; bewildered
follow the sea
go to sea
- to become a sailor
- to embark on a voyage
put (out) to sea
- On the sea, especially on a sea voyage.
- In a state of confusion or perplexity; at a loss.
sea - Science Definition
- The continuous body of salt water that covers most of the Earth's surface.
- A region of water within an ocean and partly enclosed by land, such as the North Sea. See Note at ocean.
- A large body of either fresh or salt water that is completely enclosed by land, such as the Caspian Sea.
- Astronomy A mare.