- The definition of maritime is something nautical or related to the sea.
The body of laws that set the rules for commerce that takes place on oceans and seas are an example of maritime laws.
maritime definition by Webster's New World
- on, near, or living near the sea: maritime provinces, a maritime people
- of or relating to sea navigation, shipping, etc.: maritime law
- characteristic of sailors; nautical
- Meteorol. of the relatively wet air or climate associated with large bodies of water
Origin: Classical Latin maritimus ; from mare, the sea: see mare
maritime definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or adjacent to the sea.
- Of or relating to marine shipping or navigation. See Synonyms at nautical.
- Of or resembling a mariner.
Origin: Latin maritimus, from mare, mari-, sea; see mori- in Indo-European roots.