The body of laws that set the rules for commerce that takes place on oceans and seas are an example of maritime laws.
- on, near, or living near the sea: maritime provinces, a maritime people
- of or relating to sea navigation, shipping, etc.: maritime law
- characteristic of sailors; nautical
- Meteorol. of the relatively wet air or climate associated with large bodies of water
Origin of maritimeClassical Latin maritimus ; from mare, the sea: see mare
- Of, relating to, or adjacent to the sea.
- Of or relating to marine shipping or navigation. See Synonyms at nautical.
- Of or resembling a mariner.
Origin of maritimeLatin maritimus, from mare, mari-, sea; see mori- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more maritime, superlative most maritime)
From Middle French maritime