dilatation[dil′ə tā′s̸hən, dīl′ə-]
- Med. the state of enlargement of an organ, cavity, duct, or opening of the body beyond normal size
Origin: Middle English dilatacioun ; from Old French dilatation ; from Late Latin dilatatio
- dilatational adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act or process of expanding; dilation.b. The condition of being expanded or stretched.c. A dilated formation or part.
- Medicine The condition of being abnormally enlarged or dilated, as of an organ, orifice, or tubular structure: dilatation of the stomach. Also called dilation.
- Lengthy explanation or elaboration of a subject in writing or speech.
- dilˌa·taˈtion·al adjective
dilatation - Medical Definition