- To dilate is defined as to expand and become wider.
An example of dilate is when your eyes become wide with excitement.
An eye with a dilated pupil.
transitive verbdilated, dilating
Origin of dilateMiddle English dilaten ; from Classical Latin dilatare ; from dis-, apart + latus, wide: see lateral
- to become wider or larger; swell
- to speak or write in detail (on or upon a subject)
verbdi·lat·ed, di·lat·ing, di·lates
- To become wider or larger; expand.
- To speak or write at great length on a subject; expatiate.
Origin of dilateMiddle English dilaten, from Old French dilater, from Latin dīlātāre, to enlarge : dī-, dis-, apart; see dis– + lātus, wide.
(third-person singular simple present dilates, present participle dilating, simple past and past participle dilated)