- To dilate is defined as to expand and become wider.
An example of dilate is when your eyes become wide with excitement.
An eye with a dilated pupil.
dilate definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English dilaten ; from Classical Latin dilatare ; from dis-, apart plush latus, wide: see lateral
- to become wider or larger; swell
- to speak or write in detail (on or upon a subject)
dilate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb di·lat·ed, di·lat·ing, di·lates verb, transitive
- To become wider or larger; expand.
- To speak or write at great length on a subject; expatiate.
Origin: Middle English dilaten, from Old French dilater, from Latin dīlātāre, to enlarge : dī-, dis-, apart; see dis- + lātus, wide.
- di·latˌa·bilˈi·ty noun
- di·latˈa·ble adjective
- di·latˈa·bly adverb
- di·laˈtive adjective
dilate - Medical Definition