- Expound is defined as to explain further or in more detail.
An example of expound is someone explaining the meaning of evolution to another.
- to set forth point by point; state in detail
- to explain or interpret; clarify
Origin: Middle English expounden ; from Old French expondre ; from Classical Latin exponere, to put forth, expound ; from ex-, out plush ponere, to put: see position
- expounder noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb ex·pound·ed, ex·pound·ing, ex·pounds verb, transitive
- To give a detailed statement of; set forth: expounded the intricacies of the new tax law.
- To explain in detail; elucidate: The speaker expounded the approach of positive thinking. See Synonyms at explain.
Origin: Middle English expounden, from Anglo-Norman espoundre, from Latin expōnere : ex-, ex- + pōnere, to place; see apo- in Indo-European roots.
- ex·poundˈer noun