- Discuss is defined as to talk about and to consider all aspects of the subject.
An example of discuss is for a teenager to give reasons for a later curfew with his parents.
- Obsolete to disperse; dispel
- to talk or write about; take up in conversation or in a discourse; consider and argue the pros and cons of
Origin: Middle English discussen, to examine, scatter ; from Classical Latin discussus, past participle of discutere, to strike asunder, scatter ; from dis-, apart plush quatere, to shake, beat: see quash
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb dis·cussed, dis·cuss·ing, dis·cuss·es
- To speak with another or others about; talk over.
- To examine or consider (a subject) in speech or writing.
Origin: Middle English discussen, to examine, from Anglo-Norman discusser, from Latin discussus, past participle of discutere, to break up : dis-, apart; see dis- + quatere, to shake; see kwēt- in Indo-European roots.
- dis·cussˈa·ble, dis·cussˈi·ble adjective
- dis·cussˈer noun