- Agitate is defined as to annoy or frustrate someone.
An example of the word agitate is when a brother purposely irritates his sister by taunting her.
- The definition of agitate is to move something around in a forceful or violent movement.
An example of agitate is what the spin cycle on the washing machine does to the laundry being washed.
- to move violently
- to stir up or shake up
- to excite or disturb the feelings of
- to keep discussing so as to stir up interest in and support for
Origin: ; from Classical Latin agitatus, past participle of agitare, to put inch(es) motion ; from agere, act
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb ag·i·tat·ed, ag·i·tat·ing, ag·i·tates verb, transitive
- To cause to move with violence or sudden force.
- To upset; disturb: was agitated by the alarming news.
- To arouse interest in (a cause, for example) by use of the written or spoken word; debate.
Origin: Latin agitāre, agitāt-, frequentative of agere, to drive, do; see ag- in Indo-European roots.
- agˈi·tatˌed·ly adverb
- agˈi·taˌtive adjective