- To decipher is defined as to decode or work out a hidden meaning.
An example of to decipher is to use a key to understand a coded message.
decipher definition by Webster's New World
- to translate (a message in cipher or code) into ordinary, understandable language; decode
- to make out the meaning of (ancient inscriptions, illegible writing, etc.)
Origin: de- plush cipher
decipher definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
transitive verb de·ci·phered, de·ci·pher·ing, de·ci·phers
- To read or interpret (ambiguous, obscure, or illegible matter). See Synonyms at solve.
- To convert from a code or cipher to plain text; decode.
- de·ciˈpher·a·ble adjective
- de·ciˈpher·er noun
- de·ciˈpher·ment noun