decipher[dē sī′fər, di-]
- To decipher is defined as to decode or work out a hidden meaning.
An example of to decipher is to use a key to understand a coded message.
- to translate (a message in cipher or code) into ordinary, understandable language; decode
- to make out the meaning of (ancient inscriptions, illegible writing, etc.)
Origin of decipherde- + cipher
transitive verbde·ci·phered, de·ci·pher·ing, de·ci·phers
- To read or interpret (ambiguous, obscure, or illegible matter).
- To convert from a code or cipher to plaintext; decode.
(third-person singular simple present deciphers, present participle deciphering, simple past and past participle deciphered)