- Solve is defined as to figure something out or to find an answer for something.
An example of to solve is to correctly put together a very difficult puzzle.
transitive verbsolved, solving
- to find or provide a satisfactory answer or explanation for; make clear; explain
- to find or provide the correct or a satisfactory solution to (a problem)
Origin of solveMiddle English solven ; from Classical Latin solvere (for se-luere), to loosen, release, free ; from se-, apart (see secede) + luere, to let go, set free: see lose
verbsolved solved, solv·ing, solves
Origin of solveMiddle English solven, to loosen, from Latin solvere; see leu- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present solves, present participle solving, simple past and past participle solved)
- To find an answer or solution to a problem or question; to work out.
- (mathematics) To find the values of variables that satisfy a system of equations and/or inequalities.
- (mathematics) To algebraically manipulate an equation or inequality into a form that isolates a chosen variable on one side, so that the other side consists of an expression that may be used to generate solutions.
- loves, voles
From Latin solvo.