- The definition of an afterthought is a consideration that happens later, following a main event or a situation, or something that was not previously considered.
- An example of an afterthought is when someone considers a person's feelings as a result of something said at an event, much after there is any chance to rectify it.
- An example of an afterthought is the realization that a card was not purchased to go with a present.
- An example of an afterthought is a built addition of a bathroom to a house.
- an idea, explanation, part, etc. coming or added later
- a thought coming too late, after the occasion for which it was apt
An idea, response, or explanation that occurs to one after an event or decision.
(third-person singular simple present afterthoughts, present participle afterthoughting, simple past and past participle afterthoughted)
- (very rare except in the past tense, possibly nonstandard) To expound as an afterthought.
after- + thought