- The definition of an afterthought is a consideration that happens later, following a main event or a situation, or something that was not previously considered.
- An example of an afterthought is when someone considers a person's feelings as a result of something said at an event, much after there is any chance to rectify it.
- An example of an afterthought is the realization that a card was not purchased to go with a present.
- An example of an afterthought is a built addition of a bathroom to a house.
afterthought definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an idea, explanation, part, etc. coming or added later
- a thought coming too late, after the occasion for which it was apt
afterthought definition by American Heritage Dictionary
An idea, response, or explanation that occurs to one after an event or decision.