- The definition of a compress is a thick piece of cotton or other material applied with pressure to a wound to stop the bleeding, or used to apply moisture, heat, cold or medication.
An example of a compress is an ice wrap used to reduce swelling.
- Compress means to press together, or to make something more compact.
An example of compress is pressing old cardboard boxes together so that they take up less space.
A compress placed on an injured ankle.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: Middle English compressen ; from Old French compresser ; from Late Latin compressare ; from Classical Latin compressus, past participle of comprimere, to squeeze ; from com-, together plush premere, to press
- a pad of folded cloth, sometimes medicated or moistened, for applying pressure, heat, cold, etc. to some part of the body
- ☆ a machine for compressing cotton bales
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb com·pressed, com·press·ing, com·press·es
- To press together: compressed her lips.
- To make more compact by or as if by pressing.
- Computer Science To transform (data) to minimize the space required for storage or transmission: compressed the file so that it could be downloaded efficiently.
- Medicine A soft pad of gauze or other material applied with pressure to a part of the body to control hemorrhage or to supply heat, cold, moisture, or medication to alleviate pain or reduce infection.
- A machine for compressing material.
Origin: Middle English compressen, from Old French compresser, from Late Latin compressāre, frequentative of Latin comprimere : com-, com- + premere, to press; see per-4 in Indo-European roots.
compress - Computer Definition
(2) A Unix utility used to compress files. This is the perfect example of poor technical naming. When a common name is used to name a function, it becomes tedious to document the process. For example, "use gzip to compress the file instead of compress because..." See archive formats, tar, gzip and data compression.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
compress - Medical Definition