- The increase in volume of a granular substance when its shape is changed, because of greater distance between its component particles.
- The phenomenon whereby a viscous substance solidifies under pressure.
Variant of dilatant
- dilating or tending to dilate
- expanding in bulk when the shape is changed: said of masses of certain granular substances
- becoming solid, or setting, under pressure, as certain colloidal solutions
Origin of dilatantClassical Latin dilatans, present participle of dilatare: see dilate
a thing that can dilate