- The definition of restricted is something that is contained or limited in some way.
- When you are allowed to only go as far as your front yard, this is an example of a time when you are restricted.
- When a plant can only grow to a certain height because of the size of its pot, this is an example of a time when growth is restricted.
restricted definition by Webster's New World
- ☆ limited to authorized personnel: said of documents, data, etc.
- ☆ excluding a certain group or groups; esp., limited to white gentiles
- restrictedly adverb
restricted definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Kept within certain limits; limited: on a restricted diet.
- Excluding or unavailable to certain groups: a restricted area.
- Of, relating to, or being information available only to authorized persons.
- re·strictˈed·ly adverb
restricted - Investment & Finance Definition
A stock or other investment that is off limits. Restricted investments are those that employees of an investment bank are not allowed to trade because the company that made the investment is involved in other non-public transactions that are being handled by the bank. For example, merger deals, stock offerings, or bond offerings that are being planned but haven’t yet been announced put the company on the restricted list. Typically, a bank requires its employees to trade only through an account provided by the bank. Restricted transactions are prohibited and the employees’ trading activities can be monitored. The bank itself can’t trade the company’s stock for its own account, either. However, it can do transactions as a broker for its clients.