- The definition of classified is arranged in categories, or available only to certain people.
- An example of something classified are different types of animals.
- An example of classified material is a person's financial information.
- A classified is defined as an ad in a paper.
An example of a classified is an ad for mascara in a magazine.
classified definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- secret or confidential and available only to authorized persons
- ☆ of or pertaining to classified advertising: the classified section of a newspaper
- classified advertisement
- a section of classified advertisements, as in a newspaper
classified definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Arranged in classes or categories.
- Available to authorized persons only, as for reasons of national security: a classified document.
Variant of classify
transitive verb classified, classifying
- to arrange or group in classes according to some system or principle
- to place in a class or category
- to designate (governmental documents, reports, etc.) to be secret or confidential and available only to authorized persons
Origin: ; from Classical Latin classis (see class) plush -fy