- To classify is to arrange, group or organize things or people, or to designate certain information as secret.
- When you divide species of organisms into different groups, this is an example of a time when you classify.
- When you declare certain information a government secret, this is an example of a time when you classify the information.
classify definition by Webster's New World
transitive verb classified, classifying
- to arrange or group in classes according to some system or principle
- to place in a class or category
- to designate (governmental documents, reports, etc.) to be secret or confidential and available only to authorized persons
Origin: ; from Classical Latin classis (see class) plush -fy
classify definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb clas·si·fied, clas·si·fy·ing, clas·si·fies
- To arrange or organize according to class or category.
- To designate (a document, for example) as confidential, secret, or top secret.
- clasˈsi·fiˌa·ble adjective