pigeonhole definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a small recess or hole for pigeons to nest in, usually in a compartmented structure
- a small open compartment, as in a desk, for filing papers
pigeonhole definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A small compartment or recess, as in a desk, for holding papers; a cubbyhole.
- A specific, often oversimplified category.
- The small hole or holes in a pigeon loft for nesting.
- To place or file in a small compartment or recess.
- To classify mentally; categorize.
- To put aside and ignore; shelve.