- a small recess or hole for pigeons to nest in, usually in a compartmented structure
- a small, open compartment, as in a desk, for filing papers
transitive verb-·holed·, -·hol·ing
- to put in the pigeonhole of a desk, etc.
- to put aside indefinitely, as if intending to ignore or forget; shelve
- to assign to a category or categories; classify
- A small compartment or recess, as in a desk, for holding papers; a cubbyhole.
- A specific, often oversimplified category.
- The small hole or holes in a pigeon loft for nesting.
transitive verbpi·geon·holed, pi·geon·hol·ing, pi·geon·holes
- To place or file in a small compartment or recess.
- To classify mentally; categorize.
- To put aside and ignore; shelve.
(third-person singular simple present pigeonholes, present participle pigeonholing, simple past and past participle pigeonholed)