- a narrow band of cloth, etc.; fillet
- a narrow strip of ribbon attached to a document to hold the seal
- a card, strip of paper, etc. marked and attached to an object to indicate its nature, contents, ownership, destination, etc.
- a descriptive word or phrase applied to a person, group, theory, etc. as a convenient generalized classification
- ☆ an identifying brand, as of a company producing recorded music
- a company producing and distributing prerecorded discs, tapes, etc.
- such a tape, disc, etc.
- tracer ()
- Archit. a projecting molding over a door, window, etc.
- Heraldry a horizontal bar with several dependent points on the coat of arms of an eldest son
OFr, a rag, strip < Frank *labba, akin to OHG lappa, a rag, shred: for IE base see lap
transitive verb labeled or labelled, labeling or labelling
- to attach a label to; mark with a label
- to classify as; call; describe
- to differentiate (an element, atom, etc.) by introducing a radioactive isotope or an isotope of unusual mass that may be readily traced through a complex process
- to incorporate a labeled element into (a molecule, compound, material, etc.)