- BMI is a number calculated from a person's height and weight.
BMI does not measure body fat; but, it is a fairly reliable indicator of body fatness.
- People with a BMI over 30 are considered obese since they are typically about 30 pounds over their ideal weight for their height.
- Those with a BMI of 40 or more are considered morbidly obese, although some doctors apply this label to people with a BMI of 35 or above who also have obesity-related medical conditions that substantially affect their quality of life.
- BMI is not a diagnostic tool to determine health risk. Other assessments would be needed such as skinfold thickness measurement, diet evaluation, physical activity review and family history.
- BMI calculations alone can be somewhat misleading. Race, sex, age, and ethnicity are not taken into account when making the basic calculations.
- Statistics may be somewhat inflated when dealing with athletes and others who have a high muscle mass, since muscle simply weighs more than an equivalent amount of fat.
- BMI calculations are often artificially low when working with the elderly and those who have lost body mass.
BMI is defined as an acronym for Body Mass Index, a calculation used to estimate body fat and to determine whether or not a subject is at a healthy weight.
An example of BMI is a BMI of 30 which is considered overweight.
body mass index
- body mass index
- The Federal Obesity Clinical Guidelines define underweight as a BMI of 18 or less, overweight as a BMI of 25 to 29.9 and obesity as a BMI of 30 and above. Weight Loss Journal
bmi - Computer Definition
- Also like a lot of country stars, his first recognition was a songwriter rather than a performer, and the first deal he scored was a publishing deal with Opryland Music Group (administered by BMI) rather than a record deal.
- In adults, BMI often misrepresents obesity because it does not consider healthy weight from muscle tissue; therefore, body fat percentage is considered a more accurate method for determining obesity in adults.
- Severe obesity with a BMI of 35 to 39.9 WITH serious medical conditions related to the obesity status, such as hypertension, type II diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or hypercholesteremia to name a few.
- Awarded ten BMI Pop Awards for writing the most performed songs on the radio, Kara DioGuardi has worked with Gwen Stefani, Pink, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus and Marc Anthony, and that's just name a few!
- If your BMI runs lower than this and you decide to take Alli to drop a few pounds to fit into that little black dress, you run the risk of side effects like loss of bowel control and vitamin loss.