- Obs. any note, memorandum, voucher, etc.
- a printed card or piece of paper that gives a person a specified right, as to attend a theater, ride on a train, claim a purchase, etc.
- Informal a license or qualifying certificate: a second mate's ticket
- a label or tag, as on a piece of merchandise, giving the size, color, price, quantity, etc.
- the list of candidates nominated by a political party in an election; slate
- Informal a summons to court for a traffic violation
Origin of ticketaphetic from obsolete French etiquet (now étiquette)
- to label or tag with a ticket
- to provide a ticket or tickets for
- Informal to issue or attach a ticket (noun) to
just the ticket
that's the ticket!