- a person or thing that ticks; specif.,
- Historical a telegraphic device for recording stock-market quotations, news from a wire service, etc. on a paper tape
- Slang a pocket watch
- an electronic device for displaying stock-market quotations
- Slang the heart
- a. A telegraphic instrument that receives news reports and prints them on paper tape.b. Any of various devices that receive and display similar information, such as stock market quotations, electronically.
- Slang A watch.
- Slang The heart.
- A measuring or reporting device, particularly one which makes a ticking sound as the measured events occur.
- The ticker was showing an increased rate of flow.
- A ticker tape.
- I checked the prices on the ticker one last time before placing the trade.
- To my surprise, the ticker showed that the deal had already gone through.
- (colloquial) The heart.
- My ticker gave out and I had to go to the hospital for surgery.