- the act of characterizing
- the delineation of character or creation of characters in a play, story, etc.
An example of characterization is development of the characteristics and mannerisms of Ritchie Valens by Lou Diamond Phillips in the movie La Bamba.
- The act or an instance of characterizing.
- A description of qualities or peculiarities: a list of places of interest, with brief characterizations of each.
- Representation of a character or characters on the stage or in writing, especially by imitating or describing actions, gestures, or speeches.
characterization - Computer Definition
A rather long and fancy word for analyzing a system or process and measuring its "characteristics." For example, a Web characterization would yield the number of current sites on the Web, types of sites, annual growth, etc.
- Von Liebig in establishing the doctrine of the characterization and basicity of acids.
- In a special excursus of considerable length he has paid a tribute of the highest order to monachism, and in his characterization of Theodosius II.
- An earnest attempt to satisfy this demand was made by Fichte whose single principle was the activity of the pure Ego, while his single method was the assertion of a truth revealed by reflection on the content of conscious experience, the characterization of this as a half truth and the supplementation of it by its other, and finally the harmonization of both.
- The hydrazones are crystalline substances which are of value in the characterization of the aldehydes.
- 16, which enjoins the duty of study and of scrupulousness in the observance of religious ordinances, only a very remarkable characterization of the different natures of the scholars remains (Aboth di R.