- the act of characterizing
- the delineation of character or creation of characters in a play, story, etc.
An example of characterization is development of the characteristics and mannerisms of Ritchie Valens by Lou Diamond Phillips in the movie La Bamba.
- The act or an instance of characterizing.
- A description of qualities or peculiarities: a list of places of interest, with brief characterizations of each.
- Representation of a character or characters on the stage or in writing, especially by imitating or describing actions, gestures, or speeches.
characterization - Computer Definition
A rather long and fancy word for analyzing a system or process and measuring its "characteristics." For example, a Web characterization would yield the number of current sites on the Web, types of sites, annual growth, etc.
- Von Liebig in establishing the doctrine of the characterization and basicity of acids.
- In a special excursus of considerable length he has paid a tribute of the highest order to monachism, and in his characterization of Theodosius II.
- 16, which enjoins the duty of study and of scrupulousness in the observance of religious ordinances, only a very remarkable characterization of the different natures of the scholars remains (Aboth di R.
- At this point two stanzas may be quoted as well illustrating the poet's power of dramatic characterization: The king of the Burgundians he too bewailed his death: Then spake the dying hero: "Nay, now you waste your breath!
- As a ballad poet, Schiller's popularity has been hardly less great than as a dramatist; the bold and simple outline, the terse dramatic characterization appealed directly to the popular mind, which did not let itself be disturbed by the often artificial and rhetorical tone into which the poet falls.